Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Do I sew? That's a no!

So the party favors arrived for Topher's party (wooden train whistles, what else??) and while he was napping today I was busy making party favor bags out of Thomas fabric. This is no small feat for me as I DO NOT SEW. My sewing machine was a hand-me-down with no manual. I had to go online and download a manual for a similar machine and use that as best I could. So if you are one of *those* people who CAN sew please don't make fun of me and certainly don't look too closely at these pictures! Just a quick rundown of what I did: I cut (without measuring or special tools...just the kitchen scissors and my eyes, which is probably why nothing lined up right!) 4 pieces of fabric for each bag--2 small pieces for the handles and another two larger pieces to form the front and back of the bag. I sewed the little pieces in half to make handles. Then I sewed those handles to the insides of the larger pieces. I sewed the front to the back, turned it right-side out, and stuck a train whistle inside. Voila! This took me 2 hours. I made 12 bags in order to get 10 usable ones (there were 2 casualties.) I almost lost part of a finger, I had to use pliers once when the material got sucked into the machine, the cat was constantly trying to run away with my thread, it took me 5 bags to realize I was using something called a "stretch stitch" that kept getting the thread all jumbled, Thomas nearly got punched in his ever-smiling face, and the sewing machine almost became the victim of a hate crime. But I did it, wonky as some of them may be. I really am something sometimes. --KC

5 comments:

  1. you ROCK! i sew a little, and i don't think i could make that many of anything, haha. the kiddos are going to love those bags. you are such a cool mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Macie, this totally made me laugh. Seriously. When you were showing me the bags last night on your phone, I was thinking a REAL WHISTLE was going in them. Like a tiny silver thing you wear around your neck. I had no idea why you made the treat bags so long and skinny and I TOTALLY GET IT NOW. Sorry I am so slow. These are adorable! And they serve their purpose - to hold that long, skinny train whistle. I can't wait to see what else you sew...

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD JOB! I am totally amazied!I cant wait to come to the party!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are awesome!! You did great! And what a creative and fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those bags look great. Good job! Hey, make sure you follow my blog too. Not nearly as exciting as yours, but I only have two followers! lol

    ReplyDelete