Friday, April 15, 2011

Knitting This Week

Actually some of these projects were done awhile ago, but I never posted pictures of them. These slippers were my first attempt at felting (fulling) which is where you knit something in a wool yarn and then wash it in hot water until the fibers all shrink and fuse together, becoming felt. These slippers were so nerve-wracking to make. My heart was literally hammering as I finished the last row and tried to see how this thing was going to become something recognizable. Seriously, sometimes knitting could go on a cardio workout list. I ended up loving them so much I tried to make another pair, but I botched those. So instead, I cut them up and used them to make the little flowers for this pair. I made these for my mother-in-law's birthday. Then my friend wanted some slippers for her friend's daughter, who was turning one. I tried a new pattern and the slippers ended up huge, so I had to modify it to get them shrunk down to size, but it worked out in the end. Then I added a matching headband so it would be more of a gift set. The slippers got some non-slip tread sewn on and then they were finally toddler-ready. After that, I dove into my yarn stash and decided to use up a bunch of chunky blue yarn by making another baby blanket. I threw in some stripes for fun.
I also kept seeing this "ball-band" pattern online and I finally decided to try it out just to see if I could. I guess I can. Regina, I was thinking in cool colors this might make a fun throw pillow because it looks like little bricks.
After that, I tried my hand at a golf club cover.
Then because I know about 6 people who are about to have babies, I started making some gift sets. This is my first one consisting of a bib and booties.
And finally when I saw this bunny hat pattern, I knew I had to try it. Here it is with floppy ears...
And then with the ears knotted.
It's a newborn hat so we couldn't fit it on Topher's big melon, but this stuffed cat was happy to model for me.
That's it for now. If you come across something you'd like me to attempt, just give me shout. As always, happy knitting!
--KC

No comments:

Post a Comment