Saturday, April 18, 2009

Green Beans and Greener Days

I think we wore Topher out this weekend. Thursday he had his 6-month shots, which already promises to make him sleepy for a few days. When the nurses poked him with the needles, he was SO brave and only cried for about 10 seconds. His head circumference was 17" (50th percentile), he's 26" long (50th percentile), and he weighs 18 lbs, 13.5 oz (80th percentile). Friday I took him out on a long walk around the neighborhood, and he slept through most of it. Later, after TJ came home, we took him to the ISU campus and walked around as everyone was setting up booths for Veishea (an annual campus celebration). He slept through most of that, too. Today he has also been sleeping more than normal...all this fresh air must be wearing him out. Now that Topher is starting to eat solids, I've been on a hunt to find a good highchair, but I've been having a hard time choosing one. I finally found one on Amazon that I liked, so I ordered it. It has the slimmest folding capacity in its class (did you know that highchairs have classes??) It came today just in time to accommodate Topher as he tried to eat green beans for the first time. Did he enjoy this first taste of "real" food? I think his face says it all. I'm sure it's strange to experience new foods when all you have ever had is milk and oatmeal. He made that same face the first time we tried the oatmeal, and now he positively shoves it in his mouth, so I'm sure it's all just a matter of getting used to it. For the first time this year, I feel that the warm weather is here to stay. The 10-day forecast predicts 60's and 70's consistently, and our trees are budding with tiny leaves. I feel so much more free when I don't have to bundle up before heading out, when I can linger getting Topher in and out of the car, and when I realize that we can leave the house in the middle of the day just to walk around the block. I'm so grateful that this never-ending winter has finally run its course and that we can now look forward to greener days. --KC

No comments:

Post a Comment