Saturday, April 6, 2013

Camp Fundraiser

Being the YW President these past 4 months has been a wonderful and humbling experience, and I knew that I had to make our first "big event" special for the girls.  They needed a camp fundraiser in order to go to girl's camp this summer, and the girls voted on hosting a soup dinner/bake auction at the church.  I had so many questions.  How many people would come?  How much soup should we make?  How should we set up the tables?  How do we advertise it?  How much money will it raise?  And on and on and on...

We booked the church for Friday, April 5 and started handing out flyers to friends, neighbors, and everyone at church.  The girls amazed me the whole way through.  They were confident in promoting the event, they took charge of making posters and helped decorate, they each committed to bringing a crockpot of soup and a baked good to auction off, and they were there all there early, ready and willing to make the night a success.  

I'm afraid I was dragging a bit more than they were.This last Sunday, I still hadn't started on decorations, although I was circling some ideas.  I finally chose a "Spring" theme and started making different cutouts each day throughout the week.  My amazing husband took a half-day off on Friday, my amazing in-laws took Topher for the day (and overnight!) and we started decorating the cultural hall at church.

Here's how it turned out:





















And the best part of the evening: the turnout.  I had NO idea so many people would come to our fundraiser. I was so grateful for every single person that walked in the door.  Even though we had set up every table the church had, it wasn't enough seats, so we got out some skinnier tables and doubled them up until everyone had somewhere to sit.  My cup runneth over.










It was a smashing success.  The girls brought music and it made the night feel like a party.  My brother-in-law and my friend made brilliantly funny auctioneers.  We made enough money to completely cover the cost of camp for every single girl who participated, plus we recuperated the funds spend on hosting the event.  I am so, so proud of the young women.  They were complete rock-stars last night.  They were alert, engaged, and ran the whole show.  And it feels good to be able to tell them that all their hard work paid off.

Pack your sleeping bags, girls!  Camp starts in 9 short weeks and we're going to rock that too!

--KC

No comments:

Post a Comment