Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Katie's Scarf

My sister-in-law is an extremely lovable person. She's hilarious and bright. She's resourceful and surprisingly tough. She's gorgeous, too, on top of all of it. So when she said she wanted a sea-blue scarf, I knew it would have to be something special. (Spoiler alert, Katie, if you don't want to see your scarf yet, do NOT read on!) What's funny is that all you need are two sticks and a ball of yarn. It's archaic, really, this new hobby of mine. I might as well be Mrs. Flintstone and knit up a neck warmer for the family dinosaur. And yet I love it. The pattern I chose was a new one for me. It was impossible for me to memorize, so I made myself a set of flash cards that haven't left my sight for this entire week. It starts innocently enough. One little row of cast-on knots. I knitted a border and then the main pattern (it is an 8-row pattern, hence my 8 flash cards) four times before stopping to evaluate it. It was around this very point that I wasn't sure if I liked the pattern. At all. It looked like granny's potholder. I forged on, however, because once you're invested in a project, it's hard to quit. Luckily, by the time the week was over and the scarf was done, I had fallen in love with it. It really helps to know who you are making your scarf for. That way, with each stitch you can think about all the reasons you love them and how glad you are that they are in your life. Otherwise, when you realize (for the umpteenth time) that you messed up 8 rows ago and have to pull it all out, you might get a little frustrated.
Katie, I hope you like it. I chose a diamond pattern because we both know that diamonds are a girl's best friend. :) I can't wait to give it to you in person in a couple of weeks!
--KC

6 comments:

  1. How are you churning out this stuff SO fast? I'm amazed at your speed AND quality.

    luvs, aby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have way too much free time Aby. I'd love to make you something too but I feel like you can make anything I can! But if im wrong let me know if there's something semi-easy you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,

    I can NOT knit or crochet. Not at all. I learned a basic stitch one time a LONG time ago but gave up before finishing one scarf. So I am utterly impressed with your very quickly acquired skills. Honestly, you're a natural!

    I'd LOVE you to make me something. But you certainly don't have to!

    luvs, aby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Super excited! I can't wait, and you are way too generous with your compliments of me. Really. I love the color and I can't wait to see it and you all next week!
    xoxo-Katie

    ReplyDelete